Not so long ago I blogged about drift trike’s. Drift trike being a “big boys toy”. Like most drift trike enthusiast I was instantly sucked into this astonishing combination of plastic and tarmacadam. We spent hours typing drift trike into Google search engine and days typing drift trike into Youtube but our thirst for the friction less drift trike was still not quenched. What the outcome of our obsession lead to was two weeks of scratching our heads and talking to builder merchants that labeled us as idiots from the moment we opened the car door in their car park. What I can hopefully help you with is the “protocol” to building a drift trike, if that is what you want to call it.
The first thing we did was make a list of different things we needed for the build of the drift trike. We (the lads at the Lonely Sherpa) noticed that every drift trike have wheels (plastic ones), every drift trike has a seat (plastic, office chairs) , the front end of a bike and all of that was held together with metal in the middle.
Little did we know that building a drift trike wasn’t going to be as easy as that. For the first day or so we kind of expected it to fall from the sky. A Drift trike won’t fall from the sky! Getting the bits and pieces is easy but getting the right bits and pieces for a drift trike is the tricky bit. First of all we built a drift trike with no welds. I know what your thinking, how do you build a drift trike with no welds. We didn’t,we had a few runs down a small/flat hill in our make shift drift trike before the pressure started to bend screws. Back to the drawing board we went. By this stage we had got an old bike from our local bike shop and spare wheel borrow wheels which made up the 50% of the bits need to complete our drift trike.
The next steep is the tricky part,welding. We spent days trying to come up with a way around this and to be honest the more we though about it the more we realized why the drift trike community has never properly taken off.It is because not every body has a welder in the back garden!
We were so desperate to build it that we spent the next week thing of different ways of putting a drift trike together. Eventually we ended up caving in and were so set on the Idea of having one that we end up paying top price for a ten minute weld job. By this stage our drift trike had all it’s wheels, the front half of a bike and the metal that holds it all together. Our drift trike was looking pretty mean,still no seat though. This wasn’t to hard a stroll through some building sites and vola a drift trike seat. Our last challenge was the sleeves or piping for the wheels of the drift trike. This was nearly the end of us. We always new we could find it some where for nothing (we spent so much on wheel borrow wheels and welding that we didn’t want to pay for piping) but to find that ditch that some body had thrown sewer pipe in is a mission. We ended up buying two pieces of piping (connection bits) roughly 1 cm thick which did the job. After two weeks of scratching our head we had finally done it, we had made a drift trike. It was a mission and a half but ithas been worth it in the end.
If I could go back and redo this I would have made sure I had all the bits I thought I could get for free found before going ahead. Our idea of finding plastic sewer pipe magically in a ditch and finding a welder that would do it for free never became a reality. before we knew it we had blown our budget. . . . hopefully this will help you build you drift trike a bit better than us.